Monday, April 5, 2010

Fat Girl road trip

Now I have to start off by saying that it normally drives me up a wall when something is "of Nashville" or "about Nashville" and then they proceed to talk about events and businesses in Franklin or Gallatin or any number of surrounding towns.  These places are not part of Nashville, a business in Spring Hill can not be one of the best in Nashville, it just can't!  You know why?  Because it is not in Nashville, that's why!
All that being said, I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite and take The Fat Girls' Food Guide to Nashville a little southeast of here to Murfreesboro.  As part of a trip to visit the fine ladies at Mesh Boutique who kindly ply my crafty wares, my friends and I decided to make a day of it and get some lunch at Marina's on the square.  A charming little restaurant that exudes a homey vibe and a general sense of well being, with prompt & friendly service. My friend Amanda first turned me on to Marina's, unfortunately I was flat broke the first time I went and just got a salad. (and huge, delicious salad mind you, but a salad nonetheless)  This time I went prepared to chow down and had a couple of friends in tow so that we could share with one another.  I had a dish called Dante's Inferno made with chorizo, japaleƱos & penne pasta with a spicy cream sauce.  It was good and spicy, not too overwhelming with the flavors blending perfectly.    My friend Rachel got the spinach stuffed shells which were firm (not overcooked as is often the case at other places) and savory with a hint of sweetness from the ricotta cheese.  Danielle got the eggplant parmesan, which was perfectly crispy and not at all greasy.  Add to that a bottle of wine, loads of delicious bread, Caesar & garden salads and the world's largest "small" antipasto bowl and we were pleasantly stuffed when we finally got up to leave.
Like I said we were stuffed, but I know very few ladies, stuffed or not, that can pass by a banner that says "Fresh Chocolate-dipped Strawberries" and not stop in and investigate.  This is how we found ourselves at The Country Gourmet.  Full of local products, especially those of the edible variety, this shop is definitely worth a visit, but for me the main attraction is the candy case.  The glorious, magical candy case.  Rarely have I had such well balanced and delicious chocolates.  My favorite by far was the smoked sea salt, dark chocolate caramel, it is everything you want from a salty/sweet candy.  I popped it in my mouth as soon as I got out of the store and I almost turned right around and bought more!  Other favorites were the Dulce de Leche, which in addition to the creamy caramel center had a cream cheese flavored topping with yet more smoked sea salt, and the Mocha Madness that had ground toasted espresso beans in the filling, as well as one whole bean in the center.  Neither my friends nor I got anything that was less than excellent there and I am waiting to hear back from my friend Danielle when she gets around to using her non-candy counter purchased sauces & dressings.  The Country Gourmet website has a message that says they should have an online catalog up soon, but in the meantime I highly recommend that you make a day of it, grab some friends, do some shopping and totally pig out at these two fine purveyors of deliciousness!

Marina's on the Square
125 North Maple Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
615-849-8881

Marina's on the Square on Urbanspoon

The Country Gourmet
107 East Main Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
615-896-3634

No comments:

Post a Comment