Monday, April 26, 2010

Put a Fork in It!

So thanks to the benevolent patronage of my friend Danielle, retired chef and frequent Partner in Dine, I was able to attend this year's Iron Fork competition.  To be honest, I was really there for the full on gourmet grazing that it afforded and not so much for the competition itself.  There was a lot of Tuna Tar-Tar to be had (3 booths to my recollection) and it was pretty good all 3 times, but 360 Bistro was the best by far.  Urban Flats was the poorest showing (still pretty good) but they must throw a ton of salt on their food because both Danielle & I had a case of the Michelin Man Hands after we ate there. (They were our last stop, so it could have been others, but I doubt it)  The big standouts for me came down to 2 places, the first was Jimmy Carl's Lunchbox, who provide the food for the Station Inn and Fleur de Lis Flavors snowballs, a New Orleans style snowball stand.

In a place where Whitt's consistently (and mysteriously) wins Best BBQ, I was beginning to wonder if anyone in Nashville knew what good barbeque was.  Apparently, Jimmy Carl does.  Moist, tender and delicious it stood out at a competition where there was more than one place offering BBQ.  The sample was so good I almost immediately turned around for another helping despite the fact that the top button of my pants may have flown off and taken out someone's eye and any moment.  I cannot wait to tuck into a huge plate of the stuff at my earliest convenience.  Jimmy Carl can fill my lunch box any time. (and no, that's not as dirty as it sounds)
The place that really had me talking up a storm at the event and after the fact, was Fleur de Lis.  I don't know that I had ever had a snowball, (NOT to be confused with a snow CONE) New Orleans style or otherwise, but I can tell you now I will have another! (and another, and another...)  The fresh faced and friendly proprietress of Fleur de Lis was quick to correct my faux pas when I first called them snow cones.  Rather than finely crushed ice as in a snow cone, a snowball uses shaved ice and offers the option of adding either sweet cream or condensed milk to your typical (and in some cases not-so-typical) flavors.  I had lemon with cream (heavenly) and tamarind with condensed milk (delightful) and if I had not felt like a hog, I would have gone back and tried a few more flavors.  Light, cooling and utterly delicious, I highly recommend a trip to the Nashville Farmer’s market as the days get warmer.  They also have a mobile cart, so expect them to show up at local events and festivals.
Sadly my Partner in Dine and I slipped out once our bellies were full and a pleasant dozey feeling had set in.  Food that I get to smell, almost touch, watch being meticulously prepared and plated, but then have no chance of eating holds no interest for me, but if you want the results of the actual competition, please check out the Nashville Scene's article.

Jimmy Carl's Lunch Box
402 12th Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37203
615-788-2967

Jimmy Carl's on Urbanspoon

Fleur de Lis Flavors
900 Rosa Parks Blvd
Nashville TN 37208
615-351-6109

Fleur de Lis Flavors on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I believe the guy who runs Fleur de Lis used to have a stand in Bellevue Center. Before it closed I was there once a week. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now that i have looked at the web site for FDL I am confused. i remember before the guy closed up shop he had a sign saying that they would now be operating in the Farmers Market under the name Fleur de Lis, but according to the web site it's run by a completely different person. forgive me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they bought it (equipment, etc.) out from someone else, I don't think you're crazy.
    :)

    ReplyDelete